Here are some ideas that might help you raise a little cash to help us help these vulnerable families:
- Shovel snow/cut grass for your neighbors for a small fee
- Babysit for families
- Have a dinner party and ask your guests to donate to the cause in exchange for a home-cooked meal
- Have a car wash event
- Have a bake sale
- If your religious congregation is looking for a cause to support, suggest they help with displaced refugees in Syria
- Suggest a class project to learn about Syria and perhaps have a public talk and charge a small admission fee
- Sewing circles and knitters’ clubs might wish to donate, perhaps selling what they have made
- Do a walking event (for dog owners, for seniors who keep fit by walking, for general invite to the community) to raise money
- Do you have a Syrian friend? Would they possibly like to give a brief talk or perhaps cook or, better still, teach a little Syrian food class and raise money with a small fee?
- Calling all bridge clubs, Mah Jongg clubs, bowling enthusiasts (bowl-a-thons are fun!!), other hobbies that include other people that may like to pledge per game
- Have a sale of old household goods you no longer want or need
- Encourage children to sell their old toys they’ve outgrown to help raise money
Use your imagination of other things you can do to raise money. It doesn’t have to be a grand amount but it works best if you set a budget for how much you are willing to gift “in-kind” towards the activity so that all you collect is pure donation. Every dollar we receive is devoted 100% to purchasing food and other goods for the refugees.